The New Zealand LPFM Radio Station Network
[ NZ Low Power FM Community Open Source Knowledge Base ]

Home Page | New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Station Database | Add Radio Station | Discussion Forum

Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Software
 New Zealand Low Power FM Radio Broadcasting Forums : Software
Subject Topic: Software Compressor Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
kiskomunitifm

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 08 September 2005 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote kiskomunitifm

Hi. Probably multi covered ground. 4give me. we automate with
Audioenhance DPS (which is awesome) but would like some info on software
compression. It is only really neccessary to compensate for differing mp3
levels and headers coming in @ different levels. We have hardware
compression on the mix pre-transmitter via an alesis 3630 compressor
limiter but still find at time huge variance in output levels at times.

Any help & thoughts much appreciated.

Graham Hughes

RadioTech
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 09 September 2005 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote RadioTech

Hi Graham,

I'm not much of a fan of software compression. What I've seen so far is not that wonderful, you have to remember that the computer is doing an approximate levelling in digital terms, not absolute analog audio level.

Your compressor on the mix will make your sound "louder" and prevent major overshoot, but that's about it. It's designed to make the average level higher.

I don't know the Alesis that well, but many combined compressor/limiters only limit by compression, rather than true "peak limiting".

I'd suggest you find a true peak limiter like the Aphex Dominator, place this pre-exciter, and put the Alesis in front of that (on the output of the desk). That would be the best combination.

Back to Top View RadioTech's Profile Search for other posts by RadioTech

kiwi_rock

Posted: 06 April 2006 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote kiwi_rock

I've read some software DSP users in here and I have to disagree on software DSP, you just haven't found the right one designed for FM broadcast. I don't have a TX running at present but I'm testing the following architecture on my PC....

I have a dedicate P4 1.5GHz running the following:

The Audio Server:
Input Phase Rotator
Wide band AGC with emergency attack/release and rest gain settings etc.. RMS based not just peak.
low and high pass filters,
5 band compressor with pre-emphasis added at compressors band drive s with more controls than most know how to use with speech detection, elastic band linking etc... all attack release and slopes adjustable,
5 band limiter... again completely adjustable.
Split band final limiter, one master that hardly gets used and one for high-frequency for pre-emphasis FM bandwidth limiting with overshot compensated low pass filtering.
Intergrated 24-bit software digital MPX generator, then out the back of a 24-bit/192Khz sound card to support it.

Configuration:
Is done via a TCP/IP remote configuration application so there's no additional overhead on the audio server PC as a processor.

The clippers in this processing setup are all look ahead, not flat top square wave clippers the word "clipping" usually refers to.

The sound is far better than the local 3-band $8,000 Aphex flat-top clipping hole punchy dominators where I am and leaves them to shame, and sounds the same if not better than the $15,000 Optimods I can tune in to. Yes there is the delay of running the PC as an audio processor. That's the main drawback, but a cheap comrpessor for a studio monitor feed would do the job.

Creative sound cards are not the best cards but the ESI Jul@ (Julia) has an awesome frequency response right up to 96KHz (192Khz sampling) to do this very well. It has a reversable PCI card for balanced or unbalanced audio inputs and outputs.

Anyway, I have had MBL4 v9 plug-in with Sonos for a while now which was a 4 band slimmed down version without MPX. It's no longer available to puchase but there's now a new version of Sonos called Sonos II which is only for FM processing basically with choice of 3, 4 or 5 band with all the big boy toys and bells and whistles if you have a 24-bit/192KHz ASIO driver sound card. The best part, this software release has been rather quiet and for legal reasons has only JUST been release due to the programmer previousley coding hardware boxes that cost the earth and under legal obligations he wait to get out of first.

Anyway this 5 band job is now FREE, I bullsh*t you not, but you need a really grunty PC and the sound card mentioned.  For more info just reply to this post.

Gavin.

Edited by kiwi_rock on 06 April 2006 at 7:51pm
Back to Top View kiwi_rock's Profile Search for other posts by kiwi_rock

voiceofblessing

Posted: 29 June 2012 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote voiceofblessing

Guys what is the best software for me to use and who do I
contact as starting up a low power and need a software that
is good for playlist,jingles and ads.
Back to Top View voiceofblessing's Profile Search for other posts by voiceofblessing Visit voiceofblessing's Homepage

RadioTech
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 04 July 2012 at 5:27pm | IP Logged Quote RadioTech

voiceofblessing wrote:
Guys what is the best software for me to use and who do I
contact as starting up a low power and need a software that
is good for playlist,jingles and ads.

StationPlaylist - www.stationplaylist.com

Sencorp

Posted: 29 November 2012 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Sencorp

You may want to look into SA Stereo tool. It is a winamp plugin and you do have some $$ registering when it comes to the declipper aspect, although; It has great settings for FM Transmitter. You can set the PS text and the Radio text to transmit your actual station name in the signal. Some radios will display the text that is transmitted in the FM signal and will show song, and station ID. This is a great system for setting for FM transmissions. (Lots of setting options for fm rds ta, Stereo boost, phase diff and separation. It also has a bandpass filter that is setting between 30 and 15000 Hz. Tons of options.
As Radiotech pointed out, software wise, its hit or miss, but I am very impressed with this plugin, and maybe Radiotech can check this plugin for winamp and give his thoughts on it. One thing to keep in mind, to get this to work properly with your transmitter (In my opinion) you will have to get creative. One by setting up a DNAS server on a PC and stream locally in your internal Lan network from your broadcast software to the DNAS then out from the SA Tool to another system and then out to your transmitter. That is how I do it, and it gives me control for a dump button and audio going out to the air because everything is controlled via the internal stream.

kiskomunitifm wrote:
Hi. Probably multi covered ground. 4give me. we automate with
Audioenhance DPS (which is awesome) but would like some info on software
compression. It is only really neccessary to compensate for differing mp3
levels and headers coming in @ different levels. We have hardware
compression on the mix pre-transmitter via an alesis 3630 compressor
limiter but still find at time huge variance in output levels at times.

Any help & thoughts much appreciated.

Graham Hughes
Back to Top View Sencorp's Profile Search for other posts by Sencorp

RadioTech
Admin Group
Admin Group

Posted: 29 November 2012 at 4:24pm | IP Logged Quote RadioTech

I've heard some very positive comments about StereoTool. It's on a par with Breakaway, which despite it being software based, sounds absolutely amazing and its control of the modulation index is simply perfect.
I have worked with hardware-based everything until the onset of computer automation, and that was pretty much all I would allow in a studio in terms of computers.

For Breakaway however, I make an exception. They've made a stunning product, and I suspect StereoTool is right up there as well.

It does mean however that if you wish to run a full studio with mixing console and other inputs, you need to have a dedicated computer to run just the processing software - as the audio needs to be fed IN, and composite (MUX) is sent out (to your link or transmitter).

leslie

Posted: 06 September 2015 at 3:52am | IP Logged Quote leslie

STERIO TOOL is ok but not if like me you are running
RADIOBOSS it just hates it all strange noises and i dont
think anyone has been able to tame it hi hi
Back to Top View leslie's Profile Search for other posts by leslie

leslie

Posted: 27 November 2015 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote leslie

sterio tool and radioboss i also have tried to tame